Saturday, June 14, 2008

Workshops Weekend Warriors

Writen by Bernadette Mettarod

I love to spend my weekends taking good workshops. In all the profiles we are asked to create on the web these days, especially the dating sites, we are asked to list our hobbies and interests. Unfortunately, mine is never in the list! I don't like sports or hiking or biking much. I don't ski or watch television. I like to go to workshops. My ideal date is going to hear Byron Katie or Eckhart Tolle or Marianne Williamson speak on Friday night or attend their latest weekend workshop. I'm a weekend workshop warrior!

Even people who didn't like school very much are into taking workshops. Why?

Well, for one thing, they are far more practical. You can take a workshop on how to improve your financial health, like Quantum Wealth by Steven Sashen. Maybe you want to have a great relationship. Then you can visit Institute for Spiritual Partnership, The Loving Relationships Training or Gay and Kathlyn Hendricks workshop on how to have a great relationship. Or you can learn to meditate with many different groups, such as Transcendental Meditation, Rudra Meditation, Vipassana Meditation and more. If you want to be more active, take a workshop on Yoga or Pilates or Tai Chi.

For me, going to a workshop, instead of a bar on the weekend offers me a chance to go deeper into my life. I get to talk to people about the things that really matter to me. I meet new friends and learn new ways to handle the situations in my life. Rather than adding to my problems by socializing at a superficial level, workshops help me to connect with others in meaningful ways. I like to say that my workshops are stress-reducing, rather than stress producing!

Often I do go to parties and chanting groups and meditation groups that are affiliated with some of the workshops I have taken. I might go to a yoga workshop and then a potluck afterwards where people bring healthy food. We have fun. It's just a little different than drinking beers with the boys or playing Texas Hold 'Em.

About this writer

Bernadette Mettarod loves to teach and attend workshops. She says she is just a lifelong student. Learning is her biggest joy in life. You can read more articles about workshops at PHP Workshops

No comments: